The most important thing to do first is determine why your baby is crying. What does she want? Is she hungry? Afraid? Lonely? Does she have gas? Here are a few suggestions to soothe a crying baby:
- Offer a pacifier.
- Swaddling your baby in a blanket reminds her of the womb, so make her into a baby burrito.
- For gas pain, cradle your baby on her belly by wrapping your forearm across one shoulder, down the belly, and holding her bottom with your hand.
- Reduce stimulation by lowering lights, sounds, and smells.
- Introduce low-level white noise in the background with a vacuum cleaner, a fan, or radio static.
- Say, “Shhhhhhhh,” into the baby’s ear.
For dozens of other tips to help you raise a happy baby, click on the Shop navigation bar above, then on Complete Books and Chapters to see your options starting at under a dollar.